On this page you’ll find information about respiratory services you can self-refer yourself to in Suffolk and north east Essex. You can learn more about respiratory illnesses and how to manage common conditions, such as asthma and COPD, on the nhs.uk website.
The NHS Constitution gives most people living in England the right to choose where to receive treatment.
Services available in Suffolk and north east Essex
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Service
Pulmonary rehabilitation is a programme of exercise and education prescribed to people with long-term lung conditions. It has long been recognised that gentle exercise is beneficial to people who struggle with their breathing. Our courses deliver a 6–8-week programme of exercise and education. Each week patients will be expected to complete the sets of exercise twice. Patients can choose to attend a course in a group setting, across the internet in a virtual setting from your home or by completing a set of exercises at home.
Who is eligible for this service
You can self refer to pulmonary rehabilitation when:
- you have a diagnosed respiratory condition
- you experience breathlessness as part of your everyday life
- you are registered with a GP in Suffolk or North East Essex
- you are able to commit to a twice weekly course of education and exercise
We do not offer a service for patients who:
- do not have a confirmed respiratory condition
- do not experience breathlessness which impacts on daily activities
- have contraindications to pulmonary rehabilitation, such as unstable cardiac conditions, unstable blood pressure or other issues which limit the ability to exercise
- are under the age of 18
Organisations that provide this service
What area does this service cover?
This service is available in Suffolk and north east Essex.
How to access this service
Patients can self-refer to the pulmonary rehabilitation service via an online portal, or speak to their GP team.
- British Lung Foundation – pulmonary rehabilitation
- NHS – living with COPD
- Active Suffolk
- Active Essex
- Feel Good Suffolk – stop smoking service in Suffolk
- Essex Wellbeing Service – stop smoking service in Essex
Questions or feedback?
Our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALs) is here to help. Ask a question, provide feedback or lodge a complaint.